Thursday 15 April 2010

Stay in the Saddle

Only a short time for training tonight, so just an hour on the bike. That, by the way, is a short session!

The route targeted a couple of steep climbs, though, with one quite long more or less sustained climb of about 4km (with one flat section in the middle). Although I generally attacked the hills quite hard, I concentrated on that climb on staying in the saddle and keeping the cadence high, even if it meant dropping the pace and power slightly. I'm thinking of how I will tackle the Bealach na Ba pass, which will have a sustained 9km climb, culminating in that 22% incline up the hairpins. I'll need to try to stay in the saddle as much as possible to maintain efficiency and keep some fuel in the tank for the steep bit.

Given that it was a hilly route, my average speed of 29kmph was decent.

Should be on the spin bike in the St Mary's Quad tomorrow, if any of you are around.

If you are new to the blog and wonder what I am going on about, scroll down to the entries at the bottom of the page. Also, click on the links above to find information about Project Zambia, and to donate online.

No comments:

Post a Comment