Friday 9 April 2010

Rubbish week redeemed!

Quiet blogging this week, because my training has been rubbish! I missed a session on Wednesday, because a domestic chore turned out to be bigger and more complicated than expected: what looked like a section of window that needed patched turned out to be a completely rotten casement frame. By the time I had completely rebuilt and reglazed the window, there just wasn't time to get any training in. Lots of mutters.

Following that failure, I went to the gym yesterday for a session on the spin bike. Rubbish. I felt wrecked after 40 minutes at a reduced 325 watts.

Today redeemed things a bit, though. I went out for just a quick hour on the bike, but managed to keep my average speed up at about 28.5 kmh. That's a decent speed on the landscape around here, especially on the route I was on today, which has some longish (for Fife) climbs and on which I couldn't really attack the descents (too much muck on the roads). Tomorrow afternoon I'll try to get a 50 mile route in, with some good climbing.

Still struggling to get the feel of this compact chainset, though. I'm sure I'll be glad of it on the long climbs, but at the moment it just feels a bit weird, and it's hard to know when to make the jump from the 50 to the 34 chainring.

Nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment